The internet ushered in a revolution in targeting advertising. It continues to evolve but the basic principles for success have remained the same. The tips laid out here are specific to internet campaign creation but are based on our Essential Advertising Principles.
There are four main factors that go into an effective Internet campaign. Let's walk through them and at the end you'll be ready to launch your first Internet Campaign.
1. Define your Audience (Targeting)
Before you do anything else, determine your target audience. This will set the stage for every other step. Asking yourself a few questions can quickly form a picture of your target audience for this campaign.
- Where are they located? Smaller is better. If you think of the entire United States as an ocean, would one tiny bucket have much impact?
- What ages aren't they? This will prevent over-targeting
- Are 8 out of 10 a particular gender? If not, target both
- Can everyone afford my product/service? Steer clear from using HHI (household income) target unless its a very clear answer
Pro Tip: Don't narrow your audience too much. Try to stick to two areas of refinement. Example: Location + Age Range or Location + Audience Segment
2. Determine your Objective (Goal)
Now that you know who you're targeting, it's key to zero in on what you want them to do.
- Do I want them to call, visit my website, come to my store, etc. Choose one primary action to highlight
3. Choose your Internet Ad (Message)
Ok, so you know who you want to see your commercial as well as what you want them to do. Let's make sure your message comes across clearly and effectively. AdCritter makes this super easy for any business.
- Choose from millions of ad templates covering over 1,000 types of businesses. Select your business type and it will show dozens of ready to use ads
- Don't see your type of business or need something really specific? We'll create them for you.
- Upload your own images and write your own copy
4. Determine an Effective Budget & Time Frame (Investment)
If you want a secret recipe to determine an effective budget, recall the three main principles of advertising: repetition, saturation and 12-18 months. Typically, businesses devote 7-8% of their annual revenue to advertising. But Maybe that doesn't work for your business. It's better to budget what you can afford to keep doing for 12-18 months. Also, consider your audience size.
- A person needs to see your ad enough times that they later remember you at the moment they want your services.
- For smaller budget campaigns, it can take 6-12 months to begin seeing results and 12-18 months for significant, profitable results.
- Match your budget to the size of your audience AND to the impact you want to see to your business
- Don't spread yourself too thin. It is better for a smaller group of people to see your ad several times over a given period of time than it is for a large group of people to see your ad only once or twice.